Crystals on a String
Baking soda - 3 tsp, possibly more.
Water - 1/2 cup
Electric hot plate
String - 10 cm (5-6 in)
Small weight for string (e.g. fishing weight)
A clear glass or vial.
- Put 1/2 cup water in pan.
- Dissolve in as much baking soda as possible, stirring in 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Heat the solution (do not boil).
- Remove from heat source, stir, and add more baking soda until no more will
dissolve and solution is saturated.
- Cool solution.
- Pour into a clear glass.
- Tie the weight onto the end of the string and hang into solution.
- After several days crystals will begin growing on the string as the water